Plastic Injection Molding
Plastic injection molding is a manufacturing process that is acceptable for low or high quantities of custom plastic parts. This process can be described as injecting a molten plastic material into a custom mold pattern (plastic injection molds), and it has a lot of quality advantages over 3D printed or machined plastic parts.
There are a number of factors to consider when deciding on custom injection molding or prototype injection molding, such as part design, material requirements, target cost, production quantities, etc.
To get started, let’s first talk about the process of plastic injection molding and some of the services our plastic molding company offers.
Injection Molding Process
- High Quality Mold: The injection molding process starts with having a high quality mold. Plastic injection molds can range in cost from a couple thousand dollars to hundreds of thousands of dollars. Our knowledgeable sales engineers will guide you through the different mold options that are required for your project and then our team of injection mold makers will build high quality plastic injection molds to be used in the production of your part.
- Mold Testing:After your mold is made it will get trialed in one of our injection molding machines for proper function and our process techs will start developing an injection molding process for your part. During this process our technicians gather all of the technical information about your part, including data sheets for the plastic to be used, the final part drawings, and any process specifications that are required. All of this information will be used to set-up a baseline for a variety of process setpoints on the molding machinery. The goal for the mold trial is to find the most stable and repeatable injection molding process to be used for the production of your parts. Injection molding processes are actually quite complex. During the trial, rigorous setpoint combinations of injection speeds, packing and cooling times, mold and melt temperatures and pressures will be used. Once the most stable and reliable injection molding process is found, it will be documented and saved for use during your future production orders.
Leading plastic injection molding companies such as MSI Mold offer a variety of affordable tooling options and always use robust processing techniques for their plastic injection molding services.
Injection Molding Manufacturers
MSI Mold specializes in manufacturing order quantities of 100 to 100,000 parts or assemblies. Not every plastic mold manufacturer is the same, and since every project is custom, our team of expert designers and engineers collaborate thoroughly with our customers on both manufacturing feasibility and advanced quality planning (AQP) to guarantee high-quality, reliable production on every customer order.
We’ve worked with a variety of industries and materials on custom plastic injection molding projects. Understanding the properties and processing requirements of different plastic materials is critical for injection molding manufacturers.
The material choice for your custom parts is one of the most important decisions to be made in plastic injection molding. Here are some of the thermoplastic materials that we most commonly work with:
- ABS (Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene)
- ASA (Acrylonitrile Styrene Acrylate)
- HDPE (High Density Polyethylene)
- LDPE (Low Density Polyethylene)
- PA 6 (Nylon Type 6, Aliphatic Polyamide)
- PA 66 (Nylon Type 66, Aliphatic Polyamide)
- PC (Polycarbonate)
- PC/ABS (Polycarbonate + Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene)
- PMMA (Acrylic)
- POM (Acetal, Polyoxymethylene)
- PP (Polypropylene)
- TPE (Thermoplastic Elastomer)
- TPO (Thermoplastic Polyolefin)
- TPU (Thermoplastic Polyurethane)
- PEI (Polyetherimide)
Prototype Injection Molding
Prototype injection molding is a great tool for complex or dimensionally critical parts. At MSI Mold, we can guide you through a prototype process to help you achieve your overall design goals. By first prototyping your injection molded part we can help you gain valuable insights to reduce the risk of common plastic part design hazards, such as, validating actual post molding part dimensions, part warp, and potential appearance related problems.
Before you build costly multi-cavity plastic injection molds for your complex or critical parts, consider prototype injection molding to help you make the most out of your production dollars.
With rapid prototype injection molding, we have the capabilities to provide you with your injection molded prototype in days. You’ll get production quality parts from production plastic materials. That means your plastic prototype parts will look and function the way you need without the strength and surface finish issues of traditional 3D printed parts.
Just like long-term production projects, prototype injection molding offers a vast plastic material selection in an assortment of colors, insert molding, assembly and pad printing. If you’re looking to get a quick start on your injection molding project, prototyping is a valuable way to go.
As a full-service injection molding company, we proudly offer additional add-on options to compliment our injection molding services. This can include, but is not limited to:
- Boring or reaming of close tolerance holes
- Machining of difficult to mold features
- Assembly of multi-component products
- Pad printing
- Polybag or specialty packaging
Injection Mold Makers
Since 2005, MSI Mold has been a USA injection mold maker and has expanded and adapted to fit the growing needs of our customers. During this time period, we’ve made thousands of plastic injection molds and shipped millions of parts and assemblies to customers across the United States.
We’ve worked with companies in many different industries, including agriculture, industrial, marine, medical, oil and gas, sports, transportation and more. Our state-of-the-art mold builds come with an unlimited tooling life warranty for as long as we produce your parts.
Our injection mold makers review customer part requirements and conduct advanced quality planning (AQP) for any mold features that require special attention. This AQP process at the start of making your mold serves as a guideline for delivering on all part specifications and saves our customers a lot of time and money on their overall project costs.
As an injection mold maker, we specialize in a variety of CNC machining services. Our CAD design and engineering services help take your product from the initial idea to full production. If you send us your 2D drawings, our injection mold making team can create a 3D model to be used for rapid prototyping or making your plastic injection mold.
Our “No Hoopla” guarantee says that we are 100% committed to providing exceptional service free of hassles and delays. That means no nickel and dime charges, no compromising on quality, and always offering affordable plastic injection molding services.
We are passionate about having happy customers and we operate based on the following principles:
- We provide outstanding team driven customer service
- We always meet our customer expectations for quality and delivery
- We maintaining modern and technologically driven manufacturing systems
- We continuously practice 5s and lean manufacturing
To learn more about how we can help you with your plastic injection molding needs, or to answer any questions you may have regarding our products and services, contact us today.